If you purchase from Amazon at any time during the year, please login and buy through Amazon Smile to generate a donation to the parish. The AmazonSmile Foundation donates 0.5 percent of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the nonprofit you choose. Even these small sums can really add up for us. Here’s how to do it:
- In your internet browser go to smile.amazon.com and log in using your Amazon credentials.
- After signing in, you will be directed to a page to select your charitable organization.
- Under the heading “Or pick your own charitable organization” enter the full name of “The Church of the Ascension in the City of New York” then click SELECT.
Once you’ve specified Ascension as the beneficiary of the 0.5% donation on your purchases, whenever you choose to shop online using Amazon, start from the URL smile.amazon.com in your web browser. You should see this near the top of the Amazon page to confirm that your purchases go to support the parish:
Using Amazon Smile on Your Android Phone
Note: The Amazon shopping app on your phone must be up to date from the Google Play app store.
- Follow the steps above using a browser (on your computer or on your phone) to set up Ascension as the nonprofit for your support.
- From the menu on your phone’s Amazon app, go to Settings.
- In Settings, look for Amazon Smile and follow the steps.
Using Amazon Smile on Your iPhone
Note: The Amazon iOS app does not currently support Amazon Smile natively, but you can still do all your Amazon shopping via your phone and benefit Ascension in the process!
- Open the Safari browser on your phone.
- Go to smile.amazon.com
- Sign in using your Amazon credentials.
- If you haven’t already set up your charitable contribution, you will be taken to the selection screen.
- Type in the full name “The Church of the Ascension in the City of New York” and select “Search”
- Our parish (founded in 1827) will probably be the first in the list. Select it.
- Confirm that you understand that to support the Church of the Ascension via Amazon’s Smile program, you will need to start your shopping at smile.amazon.com, and select “Start Shopping.”
- Once you’re back on the Amazon shopping homepage, you should see the URL at the top as “smile.amazon.com” showing that you’re now supporting The Church of the Ascension in the City of New York. To add it to your phone, select the “send/add/open” button in the middle of the bottom of your screen.
- Select “Add to Home Screen.”
- A new (orange? gold?) Amazon icon will be added to your phone’s homescreen. This will go immediately to the Amazon Smile homepage using your Safari browser, which works very much like the Amazon app.
- You may want to move the icon for the standard Amazon app to a later screen on your phone to avoid confusing the two. (Hold down on the icon until they all start wiggling, then with your finger drag it off to the right to put it on another homescreen.)