This month, the Tailer Memorial, the last large stained glass window in the church awaiting restoration, began its journey to the studio of Jack Cushen in East Marion, Long Island. It will return following restoration later this spring. The window, on the subject “The Child Jesus Found by His Mother in the Temple,” was executed by David Maitland Armstrong in 1895. Armstrong produced glass art considered among America’s finest during the Gilded Age and early 20th century. Within the sanctuary, Armstrong executed another window, The Neilson Memorial, on the subject, “The Annunciation.” He also created the reredos of Sienna marble, along with the mosaic angels flanking the altar.
Surviving important installations of his glass art include the Appellate Court Building at 27 Madison Avenue and All Souls Cathedral in Asheville, NC, built by the Vanderbilts. Armstrong’s personal friends included notable artists John La Farge, Charles McKim, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, Louis Tiffany and Stanford White. Work of all these artists is on display in the décor of our sanctuary.