Dear Fellow Parishioners,
The Vestry has approved an application process for those interested in serving on the Search Committee for our next Rector. Anyone who would like to be considered for service on the committee must submit an application. You will find a link to the application form and instructions for filling it out at the bottom of this page. The deadline for submitting an application is October 21.
The first task of the Search Committee will be to undertake a Self Study and develop a Parish Profile. We will be asking for your thoughts and feedback, and hope to have the prayerful participation of the entire congregation. After the Parish Profile is completed and approved by the Vestry, we will begin receiving applications from candidates. Throughout the entire process, the Search Committee will keep you and the Vestry informed of our progress.
Anyone interested in serving on the Search Committee is encouraged to apply. If you are thinking about applying, here are some things to keep in mind:
Requirements for Search Committee membership
• Communicant in good standing.
• Pledging member who financially supports the parish.
• Regular worshipper at Ascension.
• Able to work well in a group.
• Able to keep promises and confidentiality.
• Available to attend regular meetings.
• Able to use email.
Description of the Search Committee
• Wardens do not serve.
• No assisting clergy, deacons or parish staff.
• Six to nine members.
• Balanced, representing a cross section of the parish (age, gender, length of membership, groups, skills, etc.).
• No two people from the same household.
• One-third from the Vestry.
• The committee will select a chaplain from among its members.
• Serving on the Search Committee is a serious commitment. Members will be expected to attend regular meetings, to follow through on tasks in a timely manner, and to serve for the full duration of the search process.
• The committee will meet frequently, probably weekly or bi-weekly, throughout the process.
• Although we don’t know exactly how long our search process will take, the average search takes approximately 14-16 months.
• Download the Search Committee Application as a PDF form. (Right-click on this link and “save link as” to download if it doesn’t open or automatically download.)
• Fill out the form by typing in the spaces provided.
• Save the completed form (you may wish to add your name to the beginning of the file name) and return it by email to email@example.com.
• Applications must be submitted by October 21.
The form should accept digital signatures, if you have one. However, you may leave the signature field blank; a submission with (a) your name (b) your email address will also be considered a valid signature.
We strongly encourage you to return your application by email. However, if you prefer, you may print out the document and return it by regular mail to:
The Church of the Ascension
Attn: Search Committee Chair
12 West 11th Street
New York, NY 10011
Applications will be kept confidential. They will be reviewed by the Search Committee Chair and the Vestry. Members will be selected by consensus of the Vestry to give the committee a balanced representation of the congregation and a diverse range of skills.
If you have any questions about the application process or the search process in general, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also address questions to the Wardens or any member of the Vestry.
Please be assured that whether you serve on the Search Committee or in some other way, your participation and input during the transition process are welcome and needed. We are actively interested in what you have to say, and we want to hear from you.
Search Committee Chair