At its January meeting the vestry:
- Heard Fr. Andrew report on the success of the preparations for the re-opening of the sanctuary on Christmas Eve 2010.
- Heard Fr. Andrew extend his special thanks to the four departing Vestry members, Mary Gaillard, Barbara Head, Steven Hubbard and Stanley Weinberg and to Warden John Grimes, for their service during their current terms of office.
- Heard Mtr. Shelley report that Ethan Mandel will travel to Tanganyika as part of Ascension’s participation in the Carpenter’s Kids program. The trip will cost an estimated $4,000 and donations will be sought to cover the 10 day trip.
- Learned from Mtr. Shelley that there will be a class on Healing Prayer, the Inquirers Class will begin in April and also we will be re-establishing the Lay Eucharistic Visitors program.
- Heard Mary Gaillard, Finance Chair, present the 2011 Operating Budget for discussion and the Vestry voted unanimously to accept the budget.
- Reviewed the $140,401 2011 Diocesan Assessment noting that once again we have been given a reduction in our annual assessment.
At its February meeting the vestry:
- Heard Fr. Andrew report that the Annual Meeting was very upbeat and was well attended.
- Heard Mtr. Shelley report that the Healing Class is underway with a reminder that the Inquirers Classes will be starting in April.
- Received a copy of a letter to the Vestry from Jenny Landis, writing to update as she reaches the half way mark at Berkeley Divinity School at Yale.
- Approved the appointment of Barbara Head to be Clerk of the Vestry and Lillie Burkhardt as Treasurer.
- As mandated by our by-laws, reaffirmed Ascension’s “historic custom not to invade (that is, use) the principal from any of its investments unless the legacies or gifts which provided the investments stated that the principal could be used at the vestry’s discretion.”
- Reviewed and ratified committee appointments for 2011
- Followed up and confirmed the Portfolio Goals for 2011
- Further discussed a draft of a Mission Statement.
The Vestry generally meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. in the Parish Hall. Meetings are open to the parish and parishioners are welcome, in advance of the meeting, to request time to address Vestry.