The Church of the Ascension in New York City, seeks an experienced head of maintenance for its three-building property: the church, rectory and parish house, all located on our campus in Greenwich Village. The venerable Episcopal church is a National Historic Landmark with maintenance issues typical of a 150-year-old building. The sexton is a member of a team committed to the mission, progressive values and vision of the parish.
This is a salaried position with hours that depend on successful completion of the work projects involved. The sexton reports to the business manager and works in consultation with the Rector and business manager on significant issues. Currently the sexton staff comprises two-full-time assistants. The sexton lives in a two-bedroom walkup apartment on the fourth floor of the parish house. The work week includes Sundays and some evening hours.
- Interview and recommend the hiring of assistant sextons and prepare their work schedules.
- Oversee training of staff, including instruction on safety standards, new maintenance procedures, practices and materials.
- Meet with business manager to coordinate support for events
- Attend weekly staff meetings
Safety and Security
- Maintain buildings so that, in the event of an emergency, they can be evacuated safely
- Identify and eliminate hazards on the church property. This includes removal of snow/ice from the steps and sidewalks, as well as monitoring of storage areas
- Pick up, store and put out all trash in a timely, neat and safe manner
- Oversee building security and all church equipment to ensure that property is not misused or lost and ensure that buildings are opened and locked at the designated times.
- Arrange for staff support at all events
- Achieve detailed familiarity with church calendar and arrange cleaning in such a way that facilities are prepared for scheduled activities
- Ensure the performance of daily, weekly, monthly, and special seasonal cleaning projects
- Keep all storage and supply areas clean, orderly, and well-stocked
- Supervise or perform light maintenance throughout the church buildings including painting and other interior repairs, plumbing, electrical, landscaping and grounds maintenance
- Update and administer short-, medium- and long-term preventive maintenance programs for the buildings and building systems
- Select or participate in the selection of vendors, suppliers, and contractors for building maintenance, repair, and improvement projects. Schedule and oversee all work done on premises. Track progress and communicate with contractors as necessary to ensure timely completion of projects.
- Create and manage the building maintenance budget, including: order, inventory, and secure control of maintenance supplies in consultation with the business manager.
- Establish and ensure immediate follow-through with corrective action for any possible safety/hazardous materials concerns including but not limited to:
- safe storage of paint and cleaning solutions
- immediate repair or replacement of frayed electrical wire
- resolution of plumbing or building leaks
Working with individuals and groups
- Participate in the monthly Buildings and Grounds Committee meetings
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Interact with tenants, including billing for extra work. Major tenants include Voices of Ascension (offices and concerts and rehearsals), Ascension Outreach (which distributes food to the needy on select Saturdays) and La Petite Ecole, a pre-kindergarten school. The school and resident priest employ cleaning services
- Respond courteously and compassionately to requests and observations from the 100-plus church members, and refer any pastoral matters to the clergy in a timely manner
- Ability to use a range of hand tools to keep building systems operating and maintained
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and climb stairs and ladders as needed
- Working knowledge of fire control system
- Experience in working with New York City officials and inspectors, including but not limited to the Department of Buildings and the Fire Department.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to assist with complex projects for remodeling and improving physical plant and grounds
- Knowledge of purchasing procedures; ability to negotiate effective cost-saving strategies
- Ability to work independently, make decisions, and manage work assignments that directly maximize staff efficiency and productivity
High school diploma or equivalent required, tertiary and/or relevant maintenance certifications/qualifications preferred
Minimum of five (5) years relevant work experience in building maintenance or equivalent combination in the fields of carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, mechanical systems, and janitorial care. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to read mechanical, and electrical drawings
- Ability to maintain budgets, and ability to utilize Microsoft Office suite of products, including Word and Excel, for day-to-day job-related use
- Familiarity with historic buildings preferred
Preferred start date: July 15, 2021
To apply email your resume, brief cover letter and three professional references to email@example.com (note two “n”s).
The Church of the Ascension is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in hiring, promoting, terminating or in the terms and conditions of employment because of race, religion, color, gender, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation or any other protected category.